Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
, ART (UTC -3)
, UTC -4
, UTC -4:30
, UTC -3
, UTC -2
We're seeking a Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) to join our team in the Americas! Zapier is on a mission to make everyone more productive at work through the power of automation. Over 3 million professionals already use Zapier to save more time, but there are millions more to reach.
As we continue to scale our product and grow our team, we're looking for experienced Database-focused Engineers to be stewards of Zapier's data services and technologies. We need Engineers who can help architect our overall data infrastructure landscape but aren't afraid to get into the weeds to solve gnarly operational problems. You'll help drive our best practices around automation, performance, reliability, and disaster recovery.
When bad things happen, you'll have the support of your team to solve problems, unearth contributing causes, learn from failures, and build a more robust and resilient system for our customers. We look for the solutions that automate the problem away, not ones requiring manual effort.
If you’re interested in advancing your career at a fast-growing, profitable, impact-driven company, then read on…
You're an experienced database technologist. You have at least 7 years of experience in systems administration, systems engineering, or software development, with at least 4 years of experience building and maintaining data services.
You know the cloud. You've designed and maintained highly available, cloud-based database systems in AWS or another cloud offering. We use tools like Postgres, MySQL, and Elastic.
You can code. You're comfortable automating solutions and building tools that eliminate repetitive tasks. You're not afraid to delve into application code to fix a bug or to launch a backend service to address a gap in our data management strategy.
You can solve complex systems challenges. You take ownership of difficult problems, understand how to improve performance, and help uncover opportunities for improvement. You've worked on issues where “just throw more hardware at it” isn't enough for the system to scale.
You're a great communicator. Not only do you know how to share your knowledge with the team and document things well so they can be consumed asynchronous (we do this a lot as a remote company), but you know how to communicate effectively with software and support teams.
You value our values. At Zapier, our values are at the heart of how we work together and how we think about our customers. In our remote setting, they help develop trust and ensure we work together and collaborate to democratize automation. You see how these values can empower meaningful work, you thrive in a collaborative setting, you are eager to continue growing, and you're excited to be part of the team.
Things You’ll Do
- Identifying and implementing strategies to improve performance and resilience. Our application is continually growing and we need your help to keep scaling.
- Working with development teams to make architectural decisions about new services and new technologies.
- Designing solutions for storing our customers’ data across multiple systems, including RDS (MySQL & PostgreSQL), Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Memcache, Redis, and more.
- Optimizing AWS resources as code using Terraform to ensure high performance and resiliency.
- Monitoring use of our data layer and advising teams on how to use storage in a healthy and scalable way.
- Acting as a point of escalation for data-layer problems during production incidents.
- And more!
Things We've Done Recently
- Performed large-scale migrations of ElasticSearch and Redis clusters
- Deploying ProxySQL for pooling connections against MySQL databases
- Rebuilt each of our RDS databases and RabbitMQ instances to provide greater security
The Whole Package
Our flexible, distributed environment lets us work with the best people from around the world. Zapiens live in 40+ countries, including the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more!
- Competitive salary and profit-sharing program
- Equity for All: Stock options (or equivalent) for every Zapien
- Healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- $2,000 annual learning stipend for use on courses, conferences, and more—your choice
- Two annual all-company retreats
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Customized Zapiversary rewards on your 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 year work anniversaries
- Leading-edge equipment. We set you up with an Apple laptop and provide an additional budget for you to choose other home office accessories and software you may need.
- Time to renew. We encourage Zapiens to take at least 2 weeks off each year. Most of us take 4-5 weeks, in addition to locally recognized holidays.
- Opportunity to work with Zapier’s amazing partners network
*While we take care of Zapiens around the world the best we can, healthcare and retirement plans are currently available specifically in the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and United States.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equity. We first ask a few questions in our application form that would typically be asked at the start of an initial interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please be sure to answer each question; the resume and CV fields are optional.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us—even if we don’t see an immediate fit with our team. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people, and do not discriminate based on race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, age, or any other status protected by local law. Our code of conduct
provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Zapier is is committed to inclusion. As part of this commitment, Zapier will ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org